Dedicated, compassionate and even-tempered are some of the qualities Agnes Robinson uses to describe her husband, Dr. Harry Robinson. The pair met at the Hamilton General Hospital where she was a physiotherapist working with polio patients. He was a young intern who had graduated from Queen’s University in 1930 and went on to complete post-graduate studies in New York and London, England before establishing a practice at 908 King Street E. in Hamilton. Over his 50 year career, Agnes recalls many a phone call in the middle of the night and Dr. Robinson would be off to deliver a baby or make a house call.
“He was always interested in helping the less fortunate and his generosity endeared him to people.” An avid rose gardener, Dr. Robinson sported a fresh rose in his lapel each morning. Daughter Lynda Cahill remembers her father as a quiet man, loved by all and with a tremendous bedside manner. “He was 91 when he died and 500 people attended his funeral. We heard many wonderful stories about him that we never knew,” she added.
Dr. Robinson, a Hamilton native who cared for the health and well-being of so many of its residents until he retired at 80, remembered the Foundation with a gift in his will.
Excerpt from 1995-1996 Annual Report